Sunday 28 October 2018

Legio Metalica Maniple(s)


It's been a bit slow around here recently, I know, for which I can only say 'IRL' and leave it at that.

Anyway, around everything else that's been going on I did manage to finally finish my Legio Metalica titans, as seen here. For the curious, their names from left to right are:
Dyer's Eve (Reaver)
Master of Puppets (Warlord)
Overkill (Warhound)
Orion (Warhound)
Call of Ktulu (Warlord)
Harvester of Sorrow (Reaver)

I've already talked about the Legio and its colour scheme when I uploaded Call of Ktulu to DA,, but there are a few other little things to mention. By careful use of magnets, I've made the arm weapons of the Reavers compatible with the carapace weapon mounts on the Warlords, so Master of Puppets is armed with a Gatling Array, for example. I did something similar with the Warhound arm guns, making an adaptor piece out of an old fantasy Goblin shield and part of the 'hole' from a 40mm base to allow me to fit those to the carapace of a Reaver, as show here with the Turbo-Laser on Harvester of Sorrow. The Reaver carapace weapons pose an interesting problem, because whilst both the Vulcan Mega-Bolter (as seen here on the arm of Orion) and Turbo-Laser are options for it, as far as I know Forge World never made them for the 40k-scale Reaver. The laser looks OK, but the Bolter, with its two big underslung box magazines, looks a bit odd turned upside-down. On the other hand, if it were the right way up the boxes would bump into the carapace. Assuming the part is ever made for the smaller version I'll be interested to see it!

There's a small modelling cheat on Harvester of Sorrow, in that rather than paint the iron skull on the carapace freehand, I used an old Empire shield boss. On the other hand the Aquila on the head of Orion is something I'm quite proud of, since in order to make it stand out against a half white, half black background I took a black and a white transfer and cut them both down the middle. To say I was surprised to manage to get it to line up is an understatement, to put it mildly! 

In game terms, these Titans will probably be fielded as two Maniples, a Myrmidion Maniple (the two Warlords and a Reaver) and a Venator Maniple (two Warhounds and the other Reaver). That might mean a weapon-swap for Dyer's Eve since both those maniples emphasise shooting, but I like the punchy look for this picture. Certainly Harvester of Sorrow's all-laser fit would work well in the Myrmidion. On reflection, since the Venator Maniple only grants the Reaver an attack with one weapon if one of the Warhounds knocks down a target's shields, Dyer's Eve could probably get away with just taking a carapace Turbo-Laser to do the deed.

Still, all this is moot until I get the chance to play again!

5 comments:

  1. Great work mate, the maniples look boss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, i found your page interested and informative. YOur effort is great. Keep it up.
    Mehndi designs 2019

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely engines - great to see some more Legio Metalica out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only wish I was getting more games in with them..

      Delete